Following the ceasefire announced by the Niger Delta Avengers and other militant groups in the region on August 21, 2016, traditional rulers represented by Williston Okirika, the Bolowei of Gbaramatu Kingdom, from the Niger Delta on Thursday met the Federal Government and read out terms that would build confidence as well as restore peace in the region.
Below are the 6 conditions they highlighted.
1. The Federal Government should appoint/constitute a Federal Government dialogue team.
2. FG should release the 10 innocent school children arrested by the Nigerian Army on the 28th of May, 2016 in Oporoza and others in detention on trumped up charges.
3. President Buhari-led government should return the Golden Sword, being the symbol of authority in the Gbaramatu traditional institution.
4. The FG should return the three traditional council speed boats in custody of the Nigerian Army.
5. There should be a cessation of hostilities perpetrated by the military in the Niger Delta region.
6. More importantly, the Federal Government should make a categorical statement about the opening of the Maritime University, Okerenkoko Delta State for academic activities in the 2016/2017 session.”