Saturday, 12 November 2016

Reports: Boko Haram Used N3.8bn From Chibok Ransom To Buy Weapons

Updated 12 November, 2016
Investigations recently carried out have shown how the Nigerian government is aiding Boko Haram attacks in the country 

Top soldiers reveal also that the federal government has not always said the truth about the fight against insurgency in the country. 


Expert say it is never good idea to make any exchange with the terrorists Contrary to reports that the recent release of the Chibok girls was without ransom, facts have emerged that the federal government paid a whooping N3.8billion to secure the release of the girls. 


And the insurgents have in turn reinforced with the money gotten from the deal. The Punch investigations show that the insurgents actually demanded $50million for the release of the girls, but both parties could only reach a compromise of about a quarter of that amount and the federal government reportedly paid in two currencies; the naira and the CFA. 

Top military officers who made this shocking revelation pleaded anonymity, but stated that the ransom paid has contributed in no small measure to the increase in the terrorists’ onslaught against the soldiers, hence their ability to overpower the soldiers on several occasions. 

According to these top military officers, the insurgents had been defeated and they had started giving up and were taking to rehabilitation centres. “It is unfortunate that in government’s desperation to secure the release of the Chibok girls, it has put our (soldiers’) lives in danger by yielding to the demands of the group to collect a ransom and secure the release of its commanders. 


“It is now obvious that the group has reinforced and bought more weapons to fight us,” one of the military officers said. 


Another top commander stated that, “Funds were given to Boko Haram and now we can all see the result of that action; there have been renewed attacks recently and many of our men have been killed in the process but we will not relent, we will continue to do our best to secure this nation. 


“The military had reservations about the arrangement but it was not in our hands; it was a political decision that we had to abide with and it was the DSS that was directly in charge of the operation” with another officer willing to talk, saying: “They got the Chibok girls and suddenly the Boko Haram that we had beaten and chased out of Sambisa are attacking and killing men of quality. 

“It is very obvious that they have used the money they got from the deal to buy equipment and recruit men to carry out their heinous acts. “The group is still in Mallam Fatori, they have infested the entire area and their strongest point into Chad is Abadam. 

It is from there that they disperse their men to carry out attacks. “Another thing you must note is that the towns around the borders are occupied by mercenaries from foreign countries. Where did they get the money to fund that?”


The terrorists had been routed out of the dreaded Sambisa forest, but they still held on to a fortress in Mallam Fatori, Borno state, and are regrouping in Abadam where they are reportedly recruiting the services of mercenaries. 


Acting director of defence information, Brigadier Geneneral Rabe Abubakar, when contacted, insisted that Boko Haram is no longer a formidable force in spite of its recent successes against the military. According to him: “The group is not a force to be reckoned with as far as the military is concerned.


“In spite of the minor setback, it does not in any way mean that the Boko Haram is a force to be reckoned with. We will defend the integrity of Nigeria to the letter, and that is what we are committed to do.” 


Speaking also on the cash for human ransom deal made with the insurgents, Pedro Ayandokun, a UK-trained criminologist blamed it for the recent sophisticated attacks by the terrorists. “I was never in support of making any exchange with Boko Haram. That is what is creating the problem. 


What they have got will not be used to buy rice, but to acquire ammunition,” the security expert noted. Recently, Nigeria’s minister of information, culture and tourism Lai Mohammed said that the death of seven Nigerian soldiers is not a setback in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists in the North East. The minister also said that hopefully, there would be no more loss of soldiers. 


Speaking at the funeral of the soldiers at the National Cemetery on Monday, November 7, Mohammed said: “Those who do not understand the concept of insurgency will think so (setback), but anyone who is familiar with the phenomenon of insurgency will realize that this is not something… it is not your regular war where you sit down and sign armistice.” 

0 comments:

Post a Comment